Junior Master Gardeners
Hi Parents! Do you want to give your kids a fun way to learn about growing good food, gardening or growing plants in the desert? Here is some basic information about Junior Master Gardeners (JMG):
This fun group meets twice monthly, on Saturdays, during spring and fall. The class is open to all boys and girls, ages 7-12. Two groups to choose from:
- North Las Vegas, located at 4600 Horse Drive, 89129.
- South, located at University of Nevada Cooperative Extension offices, 8050 Paradise Rd., 89123
We will be working from the Junior Master Gardeners handbook, which can be found online at JMGkids.us.
- Each semester class will consist of 8, 3-hour sessions.
- The fall class begins in September and concludes in December.
- The spring class begins in February and concludes in May.
- Class will include a community service component to be determined by the group. The location of the service project may vary from year to year. Parents should plan to attend and participate in the service project with their children.
- We encourage our students to learn where food comes from, and to eat what foods they are learning to grow. The students divide a portion of what they grow to take home and eat. The remainder of the produce from the garden is donated to local charities.
- Each session includes at least one hour in the garden, plus at least one hour of classroom time where students learn about the environment, growing food, and how things live and grow in the desert.
- This class is structured somewhat like cub scouts, where students have their own handbook and do activities from it to earn pins and certificates. There are 8 chapters in the book, with subjects such as learning about Soil and Water, insects and Diseases, Plant Growth and Development, and many others. We work from 2 chapters each semester, for a total of 4 semesters to complete the entire program. Students can join for a semester or keep going to complete all chapters and become certified as a Junior Master Gardener!
- We are also a 4-H affiliated program, and both of our 2 programs are registered 4-H units. Once registered, the students can visit and participate with any other 4-H unit. They can also stay in 4-H programs until they are age 19.
- Cost for each semester is $52.00 per child, which includes award pins and certificates.
- Scholarships are available to those who qualify. Please contact the program administrator for more information.
- To register for the upcoming semester, download and complete the registration forms. Then scan and email them to email@example.com, or fax them back to 702-222-3100. Upon receipt of all completed forms, you will be given directions for tuition payment by cash, check or online payment. Please note that no child will be considered registered for class until all registration forms and/or tuition has been completed.
To learn more about the nation-wide JMG program, visit the JMG website.
Space is limited, so please register early. For more information or to register, please contact Karyn Johnson at 702-257-5523.