Detective T is on the Case: Understanding Temperament
Have you ever wondered why some kids seem stubborn and others are easy going or why one child in your care must put their clothes on in a specific order? Detective T will help you solve the mysteries of different temperaments of children and staff in your child care program making your days with children more fun and enjoyable.
What is the workshop about? The Detective T curriculum provides information and instructions for conducting a fun, interactive workshop for child care providers wanting to better understand children and staff in their program.
The workshop focuses on:
- Understanding individual temperament
- Identifying temperament traits
- Learning how temperament affects how each of us interacts in the world
- Understanding how temperament influences relationships between children, adults and peers
- Identifying behaviors associated with temperament traits
- Strategies to help each child be successful and develop positive relationships
The workshop is designed for three hours, though shorter formats are possible.
Why? The overall goals of the workshop are to increase participants':
- Temperament is a person's natural tendency to respond
- Temperament traits appear in the first few months of life
- Temperament remains fairly consistent throughout life
- Temperament traits are neither good nor bad
- Our responses to children's temperament can help them succeed and enhance the relationships they develop
- Accepting children as they are gives them the message that who they are and who they are becoming is okay
Who is it for? The workshop has been designed primarily with child care providers in mind, though others may benefit from the training.