Documents You Will Need
In order to provide the care your child requires, at a minimum, you will need the following three documents. All three documents need to be originals or officially certified copies.
- Authorization that you are the child's guardian
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security card
Desirable to have in your possession, though not legally required, are your child's:
- Immunization records
- Medical records
To enroll your child in school, you will also need:
- Proof of address – using a mortgage statement, rental agreement or utility bill with your name on it.
More information about how to get a birth certificate from Nevada and other states
More information about how to get your child a Social Security Card
If you are going to apply for financial or emergency assistance, you will need to be prepared to verify your income, as well as the income(s) of anyone living in your home. Different agencies have different requirements so it is wise to call the agency first to inquire precisely what documents are required. The requirements could vary from your last two pay stubs to two years of tax records. Other programs, such as energy assistance, require that you also verify your rent or mortgage payments and your utility bills.
Federal law now requires that any application for TANF, Medicaid or other federally subsidized entitlements include verification of citizenship for all members of your household. Each member of your household will need to provide verification of citizenship with one of the following documents:
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Naturalization
- For information on ordering birth certificates and other vital records from each state, go to the federal CDC website.
- For directions on getting a birth certificate for a child born in Clark County, go to the Southern Nevada Health District. Elsewhere in Nevada, go to Nevada State Vital Records Office.
- Information on getting a Social Security card. (Note: Las Vegas residents must appear in person at the office, 1250 S. Buffalo Drive, Suite 100, 800-772-1213.)