Nevada State 4-H Ambassadors
Nevada State 4-H Ambassadors are 4-H youth from around the state who are committed in providing leadership for all 4-H members.
"Youth Leading Youth"
- Promote 4-H to all audiences- Tell the 4-H Story through media and personal appearances, positively
- Organize 4-H Promotional Events and Activities>
- Develop Communication Skills
- Promote State 4-H Events
- Encourage Financial Support to 4-H
- Serve on the Nevada 4-H Ambassador Committee
- Devolop an Understanding of Nevada 4-H Programs
- Support University of Nevada Reno Research and Cooperative Extension
- Network with non 4-H Groups
- Establish socia media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Attend training as scheduled
Events Ambassadors participate in
- National 4-H Week
- Capital Days
- State Contests
- Leadership Conferences
- Other Leadership Opportunities
How do I become an Ambassador?
Ambassador applicants are active 4-H members, 15 years of age as of Jan. 1, who enjoy leadership roles, and are ready to represent 4-H at a statewide level. After obtaining two years of 4-H experience, youth can apply to become an Ambassador through their county office. The applications are processed and each applicant is interviewed by 4-H staff and volunteers.
Once chosen as an Ambassador, youth attend a Leadership Conference to receive specialized training in leadership responsibilities and roles. Each Ambassador serves a two-year term, and fulfills a leadership duty at two or more 4-H events.
Ambassador Position Description
Work together with a team of approximately 15 Ambassadors and an adult advisorto develop a public information program for the Nevada 4-H program.
- Promote 4-H to all audiences and tell the 4-H story through media and personal appearances, positively
- Organize 4-H promotional events and activities
- Develop communication skills
- Promote state 4-H events
- Encourage financial support to 4-H
- Serve on the Nevada 4-H Ambassador committee
- Develop an understanding of Nevada 4-H Programs
- Support University of Nevada, Reno research and Cooperative Extension
- Network with non-4-H groups
- Establish social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Attend training as scheduled
- 15 years of age to age 19 years of age as of Jan. 1 of the current year
- Enthusiasm for 4-H
- Have an interest in promoting the 4-H Program
- Ability to communicate with youth and adults
- Time and commitment to work with developing a 4-H Public Relations Program
- Ability to accept and follow through with responsibilities
- Member of the county 4-H Program
- 4-H member for two years before applying for Nevada 4-H Ambassador
State Ambassador is an extensive commitment
- Commit to following through with all responsibilities for the 24-month term from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2020.
- Fully participate an orientation and training weekend Feb. 1-3, 2019.
- Meet and communicate with other team members face to face, on the phone, or through Internet chat and e-mail on a regular basis as pre-determined by the group.
- Model good behavior, act inclusively and demonstrate sound judgment.
- Act in a professional manner reflecting the history, dignity, and prestige of the Nevada 4-H State Ambassador Program.
- Through actions and words, demonstrate respect for human dignity and appreciation for people of all races, ethnicities, genders, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
- Utilize and role model positive conflict resolution techniques.
- Provide feedback to shape the future of the Nevada 4-H State Ambassador program to assure it continues to meet the needs of the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, 4-H Youth Development program.
- There will be some personal expenses incurred as a State 4-H Ambassador (between $200 - $400 per person).
Resources and Training Available
- State 4-H Ambassador Training currently held during the winter
- 4-H Ambassador Program Guidebook for Ambassador Advisors
- Local marketing and media professionals
- State 4-H Ambassador Team
- 2-year term
- 6-10 hours per month
Benefits of the Position
- Increased visibility and enhanced image of the 4-H Program
How will the 4-H Ambassador Benefit?
Through this experience, 4-H Ambassadors will have opportunities to learn, practice and improve communication, marketing, employability and job skills. Being an officer on any team is an amazing experience. Youth that are elected to serve in the prestigious 4-H organization should take pride in doing so. You never know who you could inspire by just being a great leader.