Welcome to The Family Storyteller Web site. The purpose of this site is to give parents and educators ideas, resources, and fun activities for sharing books with young children. This Web site is offered by University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, KNPB-TV Public Television, Washoe County Library System, and Washoe County School District.
There is magic in books. Through books, your children can meet a blue horse. Dine with a very hungry caterpillar. Find a lost duckling. Ride on a musical bus.
Books bring fun and delight. They build dreams. They help children learn about the world and themselves. When you read a book with children, you take them to so many wonderful places. And it brings the two of you closer together.
We know that reading with children helps get them ready for school. They learn more words. They pay attention longer. They know the meaning of print. They enjoy learning.
At this site, you will pick up lots of ideas for reading books with preschoolers and beginning readers. Plus, you will find activities to help extend the learning and the fun. Just click on the information below that you would like more information about.
It is never too early to share books. We hope you find this Web site helpful. And we hope you find sharing books with children as much fun as we do.
Inside you will find...
- Help With Reading: Learn about ways parents can help young children become readers. Also available in Spanish.
- Fun With Books: Find fun ideas for reading several specific popular books for young children. Also available in Spanish.
- Resources: See a list of great books for toddlers and preschool children and beginning readers. Also find other sites for Parents and Teachers and Kids.
- Games & Activities: Fun literacy and language games for adults and children to do together.
- Workshop Description: See information on family literacy workshops.
- About Us: Meet the people who put this site together.