How to Start a Garden
We help teachers, parents and others to find resources and information. Our goals include helping schools to create a garden or renovate an existing garden within the school.
We strive to take the classroom activities into the garden, using it to teach other subjects, such as math, science and reading.
- Form a garden committee.
- Start with at least three teachers and one or more administrators.
- Define the purpose and
plan for your garden.
- What needs can your garden fill? Where will funding come from?
- Lay out your objectives
- Who will be gardening, and what will they be learning?
- Define a year-round plan for your garden.
- What will happen to your garden during the summer? During winter break?
- Choose a permanent site and plan your garden spot
- Sunlight, good drainage and close proximity to water are essential to any garden.
- Build your garden.
- Let everyone help and benefit!
- Learn as you grow and maintain your garden.
Using gardens in learning may help children to develop an interest in Math and Science, while helping convert abstract information into real life activities.