Learning Activities for Young Children
Planning an enrichment curriculum for young children is like growing a plant. To grow plants, we need water, sunlight, nutrients, and lots of tender loving care. To help children grow and develop, we need to provide planned activities to foster growth, opportunities to explore and learn, variety to pursue interests, and lots of tender loving care. Quality child care programs have well-balanced, well-planned curriculum.
What is the workshop about? This curriculum provides information and instructions for conducting a workshop for caregivers wanting to offer a developmentally appropriate learning curriculum.
The workshop focuses on:
- provision of developmentally appropriate activities
- use of themes to help planning
- principles of curriculum planning
The workshop is designed for three hours, though shorter formats are possible.
Why? The overall goals of the workshop are to increase participants':
- knowledge about providing developmentally appropriate activities
- knowledge about how the use of themes can aid in planning activities
- knowledge of the benefits of ongoing curriculum planning
Who is it for? The workshop has been designed primarily with child care providers in mind, though others may benefit from the training.