skip to main content

Raising Your Relative's Kids


Doctor talking with three kids.

To ensure your child's success in school, you must have ongoing contact with the school system. The information provided in this section is not all-inclusive and some of it will change, so check sources.

The school district in Las Vegas, including Henderson, North Las Vegas, Boulder City and other outlying cities in the county, is the Clark County School District (CCSD). CCSD has over 350 schools, most on a 9-month school calendar: elementary schools educating children from kindergarten through fifth grade; middle schools with grades sixth, seventh and eighth; and high schools with ninth through twelfth grade. CCSD also has magnet schools along with career and technical academies.

After reading this section, log onto the CCSD website, which provides information about enrollment, zoning, guidance, counseling, ParentLink, scholarships and many other programs through the school district. Also consider contacting or visiting your child's school with additional questions or to meet school staff, especially your child's teacher.

Follow the links below to find the information you need quickly.

Helpful Links:

Frequently Asked Questions About School Enrollment

How do I find out which school my child should enroll in?

Go to the Clark County School District zoning website. This site will allow you to plug in your address and find out which neighborhood school that address is assigned to. You also have the option to enroll your child in any school that is deemed to have extra space.

What if my child doesn't want to change schools?

If children are in your temporary custody because they have been abandoned (or because of economic hardship), they are considered "homeless" or "in transition." Therefore, the children have the right to remain at the school of origin, which is the school they had been attending before becoming "homeless."

If you do not qualify for the "homeless" or "in transition" status and it is preferable for the children to remain in their previous school, you will have to request and be approved for a zone variance and be responsible for transportation. Applications for zone variances can be obtained. You should also check with your school to see if other paperwork might be required.

Is my child eligible for bus service?

Generally bus service is provided if students live more than 2 miles from the school. See if your home qualifies for bus service. Then call (702) 799-8100 or (702) 799-8111 to sign your child up.

Can my child still play sports?

If you have temporary guardianship of the child or the child obtains a zone variance, he or she may be declared ineligible for sports for the following year. This is done to prevent recruiting among schools. Foster Kinship can help you write a letter requesting an exception from this rule. Call (702) 546-9988.