skip to main content

Raising Your Relative's Kids

Documents You Will Need

Couple at table.

In order to provide the care your child requires, at a minimum, you will need the following three documents. All three documents need to be originals or officially certified copies.

Desirable to have in your possession, though not legally required, are your child's:

  • Immunization records
  • Medical records

To enroll your child in school, you will also need:

  • Proof of address – using a mortgage statement, rental agreement or utility bill with your name on it.

More information about how to get a birth certificate from Nevada and other states

More information about how to get your child a Social Security Card

Other Documents

If you are going to apply for financial or emergency assistance, you will need to be prepared to verify your income, as well as the income(s) of anyone living in your home. Different agencies have different requirements so it is wise to call the agency first to inquire precisely what documents are required. The requirements could vary from your last two pay stubs to two years of tax records. Other programs, such as energy assistance, require that you also verify your rent or mortgage payments and your utility bills.

Federal law now requires that any application for TANF, Medicaid or other federally subsidized entitlements include verification of citizenship for all members of your household. Each member of your household will need to provide verification of citizenship with one of the following documents:

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization

Helpful Links: