Cattle Handling and Facility Design at 2007 Cattlemen's Update
Western ranch owners, managers, buckaroos, ranch family members, and weekend laborers - anyone who works around cattle will want to attend Cattlemen's Update 2007. The annual Cattlemen's Update program is to be held Jan. 8-12 in various Nevada communities and by videoconference. The workshops are sponsored by University of Nevada Cooperative Extension; College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources; U.S.D.A. Risk Management Agency, Pfizer Animal Health and the Nevada Cattlemen's Association.
The timely subject of low stress cattle handling and facility design will highlight the three-hour program. Dr. Locatelli, D.V.M., a University of California, Davis graduate who bases her practice out of Benkelman, Nebraska, will lead the low stress handling discussion and show video clips of the techniques and results.
Other timely subjects will include risk management relative to cattle diseases by Dr. David Thain, D.V.M. and UNCE state veterinarian specialist, improving rye grass feed ability by Ben Bruce, Ph.D., UNCE livestock specialist, and profit tips by Ron Torell, UNCE livestock specialist. Additionally, at most locations a local veterinarian will touch on animal health issues of local concern.
Presentation times are as follows:
- Monday, Jan. 8, 10 a.m. Washoe County Extension office, Reno. (Interactive video sites: Eureka Extension office; Pahrump Extension office; Caliente Extension office; Tonopah Extension office; Logandale Extension office. All sites are tentative. Please call Ron Torell for verification).
- Monday, Jan. 8, 6 p.m. Multipurpose Building, Fallon. (Refreshments sponsored by Churchill County Cattlewomen).
- Tuesday, Jan. 9, 5 p.m. White Pine County Convention Center, Ely. (Dinner compliments of local sponsors).
- Wednesday, Jan. 10, 12:30 p.m. Elko Convention Center, Elko. (Social hour follows, compliments of local sponsors).
- Thursday, Jan. 11, 10:30 a.m. Humboldt County Extension office, Winnemucca. (Lunch sponsored by Ron's Seed and Supply and Humboldt County Cattlewomen).
- Friday, Jan. 12, 10 a.m. Wellington Community Hall, Wellington. (Lunch and hall sponsored by Pinenut Livestock Supply and Snyder Livestock).
Other program sponsors include Intermountain Farmer's Association, Walco International, Pinenut Livestock Supply, American AgCredit, Ron's Seed and Supply, Neff Mill, Snyder Livestock, Intermountain Beef Producers, Lextron Animal Health, Fort Dodge Animal Health, Norvartis Animal Health, Nevada Department of Agriculture and Churchill and Humboldt County Cattlewomen.
A $10 per-ranch registration fee at the door includes the popular red calendar and a reference and record pocketbook. For more information, contact program coordinators Ron Torell at 775-738-1721, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; David Thain at 775-784-1377; or Ben Bruce at 775-783-1624.