Gardening and horticultural events prepare gardeners for spring
Cooperative Extension hosting multiple gardening events for southern Nevada
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension and their certified Master Gardeners are ready to help residents prepare for spring gardening, offering a variety of events and classes over the next month.
Get questions answered or take tours of Cooperative Extension’s Gardens or Orchard:
- Master Gardener Help Desk — Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners provide free assistance to gardeners who call or drop by with gardening questions. The help desk is open weekdays, 9 a.m. — 3 p.m., at 8050 Paradise Road in Las Vegas. Stop by, call 702-257-5555, or email LVMasterGardeners@unce.unr.edu.
- Botanical and Test Gardens — The Cooperative Extension Botanical and Test Gardens, which house 1,300 species of desert-adapted plants, are open for free, self-guided tours weekdays, 8 a.m. — 4:30 p.m. Master Gardeners are also available for guided tours at 10 a.m. on Tuesdays. The Gardens are at 8050 Paradise Road in Las Vegas.
- Research Center and Demonstration Orchard — The Cooperative Extension Research Center and Demonstration Orchard grows fruit trees, vegetables, grapes, hops, bees and more, and is open to the public 8 a.m. — noon, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Freshly picked seasonal produce is for sale when available, and sometimes there is free mulch available as well. For more information and to find out about volunteer opportunities, call Mark Wynne at 702-786-4361. The Orchard is located on 4600 Horse Drive in North Las Vegas.
Attend workshops and presentations:
- Feb. 27, 6 — 7:30 p.m. — Growing Tomatoes and Peppers, presented by Master Gardener Volunteer Kristy McCumby-Hyland, as part of the free Growing Under the Stars With Master Gardeners series of presentations at 8050 Paradise Road in Las Vegas. Register online at the event website.
- March 1 — 3 — Various presentations at the Master Gardener Information and Demonstration Booth at The Las Vegas Home Shows’ Home & Backyard Expo at the World Market Center Pavilion 2, 475 S. Grand Central Parkway, #1615 in Las Vegas. Go to LVhomeshows.com for more information on the Home Show.
- March 16, 8 a.m. — noon — Compost, presented by Cooperative Extension Social Horticulture Specialist Angela O’Callaghan, as part of the Gardening in Small Places series of presentations at 8050 Paradise Road in Las Vegas. The cost is $10, and preregistration is required. Register online at the event website.
- March 27, 6 — 7:30 p.m. — Vermicomposting, presented by Master Gardener Volunteer Steven Chapluk, as part of the free Growing Under the Stars workshop series at 8050 Paradise Road in Las Vegas. Vermicomposting is the process of taking organic waste, such as fruit and vegetable scraps, and turning it into high-quality compost using specialized worms. Register online at the event website.
Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance should call at least three days prior to the scheduled event. For more information on University of Nevada Cooperative Extension’s horticulture programs, or other educational programs, contact University of Nevada Cooperative Extension at 702-222-3130 or visit www.unce.unr.edu.