Cooperative Extension offers ’Gardening Smarter as We Mature’
Three free classes offered this spring in 11 Nevada locations
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension is offering a series of three free classes at 11 locations statewide for maturing gardeners. The "Gardening Smarter as We Mature" series teaches how to garden more easily as the body changes and ages.
"Traditionally, about 65 percent of the American population participates in some form of gardening," said Cooperative Extension Educator JoAnne Skelly, who helped research the need for the classes and organized the series. "But this population is aging, and as they age, gardening becomes more difficult. These classes will show aging gardeners easier ways to continue doing what they love."
The classes are taught by Health, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology Specialist Anne Lindsay and Social Horticulture Specialist Angela O’Callaghan. They will focus on the biomechanics of the body, covering gross and fine motor skills, core strengthening, cardiovascular health, strength and endurance. Participants will learn practical gardening applications, such as simplifying gardening life, prioritizing tasks, using lower-maintenance plants and gardening in raised beds.
Classes run from 10 a.m. to noon, March 11, April 8 and May 14. Topics include:
- March 11: Understanding the biomechanics of the body’s changes as we mature; improving cardiovascular health, strength and endurance
- April 8: Using the maturing body properly, techniques and tools
- May 14: Simplifying gardening life
Classes will be held at the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Lifelong Learning Center in Las Vegas, 8050 Paradise Road, Suite A, 702-222-3130, and will be available via interactive video at the following locations:
- Lincoln County Cooperative Extension, 360 Lincoln St., Caliente, 775-726-3109
- Carson City Cooperative Extension, 2621 Northgate Lane, Room 12, 775-887-2252
- Great Basin College, 1500 College Parkway, Griswold Hall, #31, Elko, 775-738-7291
- White Pine County Cooperative Extension, 950 Campton St., Ely, 775-293-6599
- Churchill County Cooperative Extension, 111 Scheckler Road, Fallon, 775-423-5121
- Douglas County Cooperative Extension, 1325 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville, 775-782-9960
- East Clark County Cooperative Extension, 1897 N. Moapa Valley Blvd., Logandale, 702-397-2604
- Pershing County Cooperative Extension, 810 Sixth St., Lovelock, 775-273-2923
- Humboldt County Cooperative Extension, 1085 Fairgrounds Road, Winnemucca, 775-623-6304
- Lyon County Cooperative Extension, 504 S. Main St., Yerington, 775-463-6541
Registration is required. If you have questions, contact Skelly, at 775-887-2252. To register, contact the location above where you plan to attend. Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance should call at least three days prior to the scheduled event.