Cooperative Extension hosts free landscape trainings in Spanish and English
Trainings offered in Reno and Las Vegas aim to help Nevada’s green industry
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension is offering free landscaping trainings taught in both Spanish and English in Reno and in Las Vegas. The workshops, funded by the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service through the Nevada Division of Forestry, are designed to enhance employability skills and increase job retention in the green industry in Nevada.
"Cooperative Extension is happy to help fill this gap for Nevada’s green industry, and with our expertise in horticulture, it’s a perfect fit," said Mark Walker, Dean of University of Nevada Cooperative Extension. "The trainings help provide skilled workers for the green industry by presenting the most up-to-date research-based information in an understandable way."
Two workshops will be offered at the Washoe County Cooperative Extension office, 4955 Energy Way, Reno, 5:30 — 8:30 p.m.:
- April 23, training on proper pruning techniques for trees and shrubs, and insect management
- April 30, training on how to protect trees during construction and manage other challenges related to the landscape industry
Four workshops will be offered at Cooperative Extension’s Clark County Lifelong Learning Center, 8050 Paradise Road, Suite 100, Las Vegas, 5:30 — 8:30 p.m.:
- April 22, training on pruning trees, shrubs and palms
- April 29, training on protecting trees during construction
- May 6, training on how to address challenges in the landscape, including pest management
- May 20, training on how to improve the plant’s environment with soil and mulch
Participants will receive a certificate for each class taken. The trainings will also include materials focusing on improving English and math skills, meeting job expectations, paying attention to details, and practicing safety and worker protection.
Those interested in attending in Reno can register online, http://hispaniclandscapetraining.eventbrite.com, or by calling 775-787-2000 (Spanish) or 775-784-4848 (English). Those interested in attending in Las Vegas can register by calling 702-257-5536 (Spanish) or 702-275-5580 (English). Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance should call at least three days prior to the trainings they intend to attend.