Grow Your Own series fall schedule released
Workshop series available throughout Northern Nevada begins Sept. 5
The University of Nevada Cooperative Extension’s fall "Grown Your Own" series will run from Sept. 5 through Oct. 24. The upcoming session will include eight two-hour weekly workshops featuring a back-to-basics guide to great harvests in Nevada. Classes will be held in Reno and are also available via videoconference at various Extension offices throughout the state.
Western Area Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch said the "Grow Your Own" series is a workshop that provides information on growing food in our harsh, high-desert climate.
"We provide unbiased information on both conventional and alternative gardening methods — information people won’t find anywhere else.
"No matter where people live, whether they have an apartment with a small patio or a house with an acre of land, they will find topics of interest," Kratsch said. "We talk about growing in all kinds of situations and are helping people to be more self-reliant."
The cost to attend individual courses in Reno is $15. Those interested in registering for all eight sessions pay only $60. Costs may vary at other locations, so check with local offices for more information. Workshops will be held from 6-8 p.m. Full course participants will receive a USB-flash drive containing gardening resources.
- Gardening in Nevada’s soils, Sept. 5
- Growing culinary and medicinal herbs, Sept. 12
- Saving seeds from your garden, Sept. 19
- Restoring older fruit trees, Sept. 26
- Hillbilly gardening, Oct. 3
- Reap what you sow, Oct. 10
- Safe composting and vermicomposting, Oct.17
- Companion and cover cropping, Oct. 24
Grow Your Own classes will be available via videoconference in the following locations throughout the state:
- Carson City — 2621 Northgate Lane, Suite 15
- Elko — 701 Walnut Street
- Eureka — 701 S. Main St.
- Fallon — 111 Scheckler Rd.
- Lovelock — 810 6th Street
- Owyhee — 100 Academic Way
- Pahrump — 1651 E. Calvada Blvd.
- Reno — 4955 Energy Way
- Tonopah - #1 Frankie St. Old Courthouse
- Winnemucca — 1085 Fairgrounds Road
- Yerington — 504 S. Main Street
To register for any or all classes in Reno, contact Ashley Andrews at 775-784-4848. To attend a class in a county other than Washoe, call your local Cooperative Extension office as registration information may differ.