UNCE announces new Grow Your Own Series
8-week workshop series begins July 9 and available throughout No. Nevada
The lineup is out for University of Nevada Cooperative Extension’s (UNCE) Summer 2012 "Grow Your Own" (GYO) series. The eight-workshop series will feature ’back-to-basics’ information for growing your own food in your backyard or small acreage. Classes will be hosted in Reno and available via interactive video at various Extension offices throughout the state.
"Many Nevadans are interested in getting back to their roots," said UNCE Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch. "We’re offering these courses to help Nevada growers turn their backyards into sustainable, edible gardens."
Each class costs $15 and runs from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Registrants can enroll in all eight classes for $60 and save 50 percent.
- Starting plants from seed, July 9
- Gardening is a contact sport, July 16
- Eating on the cheap, July 23
- Composting in small places, July 30
- Insect and critter control, Aug. 6
- Walipini Greenhouses, Aug. 13
- Aquaponics, Aug. 20
- GMO seeds and crops, Aug. 27
GYO classes will be available via interactive video in the following locations throughout the state:
- Carson City — 2621 Northgate Lane, Suite 15
- Elko — 701 Walnut Street
- Gardnerville — 1329 Waterloo Lane
- Hawthorne — 314 5th Street
- Logandale — 1897 North Moapa Valley Boulevard
- Owyhee — Location TBD
- Reno — 4955 Energy Way
- Tonopah — #1 Frankie Street Old Courthouse
- Winnemucca — 1085 Fairgrounds Road
- Yerington — 504 South Main Street
To register for any or all classes in Reno, fill out this PDF and send it to Ashley Andrews at 4955 Energy Way, Reno, NV, 89502. To attend a class in a county other than Washoe, call your local Cooperative Extension office as registration information may differ.
For more information about this program, visit the GYO website. Persons in need of special accommodations should contact Ashley Andrews at (775) 784-4848 or email her at least three days prior to the first day of the course.