Free Radon Test Kits Available at Presentations
Cooperative Extension and the Nevada State Health Division have taken the lead in Nevada to encourage all residents to test their homes for radon. A Radon Awareness presentation has been scheduled for Saturday, November 19, 2011 at Cooperative Extension’s Lifelong Learning Center located at 8050 Paradise Road, Suite 100, LV 89123. The presentation will be from 10:30 a.m. to Noon and at the end, you will receive a free radon test kit.
Most people associate lung cancer with smoking, but the leading cause of lung cancer for nonsmokers is radon. Although smokers have a higher risk of radon-induced lung cancer than nonsmokers, about 21,000 people die each year in the U.S. of lung cancer caused by indoor radon exposure. The radon health risk is highly preventable, yet few people know about the radon risk or have their homes tested for it.
Radon is a radioactive gas. It comes from the natural decay of uranium in soil and enters homes through foundation cracks, openings and some of the porous materials used to construct foundations and floors of homes. It is an odorless, colorless, invisible gas that can reach harmful levels when trapped indoors. Radon can enter any home, old or new. Two neighboring homes can have very different radon levels. The only way to know what the radon levels are inside your home is to measure them.
“Winter is the ideal time to test your home for radon,” said Laura Au-Yeung, the Southern Area Radon Program Coordinator, “as most of us keep our homes closed up during cold weather.” If you are ready to test your home for radon, attend this short presentation and pick up your free, short-term test kit.
For your first test, it is best to use the short-term test kit which remains in your home from two to four days. It contains activated charcoal which adsorbs radon and provides extremely accurate results. If you do find high levels of radon in your home, the EPA recommends a follow-up test, as radon levels fluctuate naturally. Depending upon the result of the screening test, a long-term test may be recommended.
If you do have elevated levels of radon in your home, most problems can be fixed for a cost similar to that of many common home repairs. It is best to have the problems addressed by a qualified professional. For more information, call 702-257-5550 or e-mail.