Marketing workshop offered to Nevada growers
Nevada agricultural producers can learn how to manage the legal, marketing and financial risks associated with direct marketing food and agricultural products at a daylong workshop next month.
The program, "Food Safety: A Tool for Managing Risk and Expanding Direct Marketing Opportunities," will be presented in Fallon with simultaneous interactive video at seven locations in Douglas, Humboldt, Lincoln, Lyon, northeast Clark, White Pine and Washoe counties.
The program is sponsored by University of Nevada Cooperative Extension and the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources, with funding provided by the Western Center for Risk Management Education.
The Food Safety Education workshop will highlight:
- food safety regulations associated with direct-marketed goods;
- how producers can find information about food safety regulations in their area;
- harvesting and packaging safety guidelines;
- how to prepare an operation for the legal fallout associated with a food safety violation;
- strategies to use food safety assurances to add value to products;
- a question-and-answer session with producers already involved in direct marketing food and agricultural products in Nevada.
Program participants will be able to better understand the food safety regulations in their area and the costs associated with these regulations. They will also gain a better understanding of the legal and financial risks associated with a food safety violation and how to manage these risks, and learn the packaging and labeling requirements for direct marketing to grocery stores and restaurants in Nevada.
Friday, Feb. 19, 2010, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Churchill County UNCE Office, 111 Sheckler Road, Fallon, 775-423-5121
- Douglas County UNCE Office, 1329 Waterloo, Gardnerville (via interactive video), 775-775-782-9960
- Humboldt County UNCE Office, 1085 Fairgrounds Road, Winnemucca (via interactive video), 775-6236304
- Lincoln County UNCE Office, 360 Lincoln Street, Caliente (via interactive video), 775-726-3109
- Lyon County UNCE Office, 504 S. Main Street, Yerington (via interactive video), 775-463-6541
- Northeast Clark County UNCE Office, 1897 N. Moapa Valley Blvd, Logandale (via interactive video), 702-397-8301
- Washoe County UNCE Office, 5305 Mill Street, Reno (via interactive video), 775-784-4848
- White Pine County UNCE Office, 995 Campton Street, Ely (via interactive video), 775-289-4459
The registration fee is $20, which covers snacks, lunch, refreshments and all materials. Registration and checks, made payable to the Board of Regents, should be forwarded to Maggie Cowee, University of Nevada, Reno, Mail Stop 204, Reno, NV 89557-0105. Registration at the door will be based on space availability.
For more information, contact Maggie Cowee, (775) 784-6499, email@example.com
Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance can call or notify the above locations at least three days prior to the scheduled program.