Christmas tree safety
LAS VEGAS-Keep your Christmas tree healthy and your home safe by following these tips from University of Nevada Cooperative Extension:
- CUT TWO INCHES OFF THE TRUNK AT A DIAGONAL, ALLOWING THE TREE TO ABSORB WATER.
- KEEP THE TREE STAND FILLED WITH WARM WATER, WATERING DAILY.
- BE SURE THE TREE IS WELL SUPPORTED AND AWAY FROM FIREPLACES, HEAT VENTS, CANDLES AND OTHER SOURCES OF HEAT.
- DO NOT PLACE THE TREE WHERE IT WILL BLOCK AN EXIT.
- CHECK LIGHTS AND DISCARD ANY WITH WORN OR FRAYED WIRES.
- AVOID OVERLOADING ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS.
- NEVER LEAVE THE TREE LIGHTS ON WHEN NO ONE IS HOME.
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension is an outreach arm of the University that extends unbiased, research-based knowledge from University of Nevada-and other land-grant universities-to local communities. Educational programs are developed based on local needs, sometimes in partnership with other agencies and volunteers. For more information about University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, please visit the website at www.unce.unr.edu or call (702) 222-3130.