Friends of Cooperative Extension
Cooperative Extension is the outreach college of the University of Nevada, Reno. We extend unbiased, research-based knowledge from the land-grant university to local communities. We develop educational programs based on local needs, often in partnership with other agencies and volunteers. Cooperative Extension conducts programs in agriculture; children, youth and families; community development; health and nutrition; horticulture; and natural resources.
- Cooperative Extension was initiated with the Smith-Lever Act of 1914.
- Nearly 250 faculty and staff help conduct programs in 17 Nevada counties.
- Cooperative Extension faculty and staff made more than 765,602 face-to-face contacts in 2006.
- 135 new publications were also produced in 2006, many of which are available free online.
Why is a "Friend" needed?
Cooperative Extension is a partnership with the state, county and federal governments. There are some projects, items and positions that may not be funded. Your donation will help fund some of these special programs.
Think of the possibilities!
- Scholarships for 4-H'ers
- Resource materials and expertise for educational programs
- Leadership development for volunteers and 4-H youth
- Expanded educational opportunities
- Hosted community events and activities
- Naming opportunities for the new buildings
- Internship programs