Asparagus is Awesome!
Eating more fruits and vegetables and being active can help your child do better in school. Use Harvest of the Month tips to help your family learn and practice lifelong healthy habits.
• Look for firm, bright green spears with tightly closed tips. Avoid limp asparagus or spears.
• Stand stems up in one container with about one inch of water. Cover loosely with plastic bag. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
Healthy serving ideas:
• Bake, grill, boil, steam, microwave, or stir-fry asparagus spears.
• Dip raw or lightly cooked asparagus spears in low-fat dressing.
• Stir-fry chopped asparagus, sliced bell pepper, sliced onions, and strips of chicken. Serve with brown rice.
• Help your child find a healthy recipe with asparagus. Cook it together.
Biking is a great way to be active and healthy. It also helps the environment by lowering air pollution and traffic.
• At home: Ride your bike for errands.
• At work: Invite coworkers to ride bikes during Bike-to-Work in May.
• With the family: Ride to a park after dinner to play a game of tag.
The fifth annual Chefs for Kids charity golf tournament will be held at Painted Desert Golf Course on Sunday, October 11. There is a shotgun start at 7:00 a.m.
Cooperative Extension’s Chefs for Kids program is a joint effort of the American Culinary Federation Chefs of Las Vegas and Cooperative Extension. Chefs for Kids, Inc. is a 501(c)3 organization, committed to eliminating malnutrition and hunger in children through education and awareness.
The tournament is being sponsored by the BrownBlankfeld Group. Once again, Findlay Honda has offered a new car for a hole in one. If you would like more information, please visit the website.