Asparagus is Awesome!
Eating more fruits and vegetables and being active can help your child do better in school. Use Harvest of the Month tips to help your family learn and practice lifelong healthy habits.
• Look for firm, bright green spears with tightly closed tips. Avoid limp asparagus or spears.
• Stand stems up in one container with about one inch of water. Cover loosely with plastic bag. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
Healthy serving ideas:
• Bake, grill, boil, steam, microwave, or stir-fry asparagus spears.
• Dip raw or lightly cooked asparagus spears in low-fat dressing.
• Stir-fry chopped asparagus, sliced bell pepper, sliced onions, and strips of chicken. Serve with brown rice.
• Help your child find a healthy recipe with asparagus. Cook it together.
Social Horticulture Specialist
As summer approaches, you may notice holes in leaves, black spots on the bottoms of the tomatoes, spots on the leaves, your squash not developing or a variety of other things.
If you’d like to know what the problems are and what to do about them, join Angela O’Callaghan, social horticulturist, as she explains the common problems in the garden, how they happen, how you can avoid them and what to do about them if they occur.
Problems such as nutrient deficiencies, pests and diseases will be covered. Homeowners and other interested parties are welcome to attend. Register online.
Available at the Fruit tables: Artichokes (limited); Green onions (I’ithios); Herbs; and Garlic (a few)
Available in the back: Mulch-no charge
Free mulch is available at Cooperative Extension’s Research Center and Demonstration Orchard.
The Center, located at 4600 Horse Drive, NLV, is open Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 8am – 12pm.
Volunteers are always welcome—we are building our greenhouse, thinning fruit, training the hops, and more.
Wine Table at Silent Auction
The Chefs for Kids Dinner and Auction—25th Anniversary—will be held on Saturday, May 7 at the South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa.
The evening’s Legacy Award honors County Commissioner Marilyn Kirkpatrick and the Corporate Award honors Anderson Dairy, both for their ongoing support of the Chefs for Kids program.
Commissioner Kirkpatrick has served on the Chefs for Kids Board of Directors and is involved in several other community services.
Anderson Dairy has participated and supported the Chefs for Kids program from its inception.
Plan to join this special 25th anniversary dinner & auction!