Getting children to try new food can be hard. Be a good role model and eat fruits and vegetables in front of your children. Use Harvest of the Month tips to encourage trying new foods.
• Choose fresh blueberries that are plump and have a solid dark blue color. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.
• Choose fresh raspberries that are bright and evenly colored. Refrigerate for up to three days.
• Select fresh blackberries that are dry and shiny, without any green or red colors. Refrigerate for up to three days.
• Wash berries just before serving.
• Shop for fresh berries in season to get the best value.
Healthy serving ideas:
• Add berries to your cereal for added fiber and flavor.
• Mash berries to make you own jam.
• Top pancakes with fresh blueberries or blackberries.
• Stir your favorite berries into low-fat yogurt for a tasty snack
• Toss raspberries into a spinach salad.
• Keep a bag of mixed berries in the freezer for smoothies.