• Fresh spinach can be found loose or bagged.
• Choose fresh spinach leaves that are green and crisp. Avoid leaves that are limp, damaged, or spotted.
• Store fresh spinach in an open plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to four days.
• Rinse spinach leaves in cool water and pat dry just before using.
• Spinach can also be found canned or frozen. Choose low-sodium varieties.
Healthy serving ideas:
• Use fresh spinach to make a tasty salad. Add sliced mandarins or dried berries and toss with low-fat balsamic vinaigrette.
• Add chopped frozen spinach to lasagna, casseroles and soups.
• Stir-fry fresh, canned, or frozen spinach. Add garlic, onion, chopped bell peppers, carrots, or other favorite vegetables for a colorful dish.