This week the kids will taste Jicama and Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit.

Jicama is a vegetable that I have only recently experienced myself. I remember seeing them at the grocery store, but the boring, light brown exterior deterred me from being curious enough to try it. Jicama are best when they are crisp, so look for firm, heavy roots. Smaller roots tend to be sweeter, but they loose moister faster than larger roots. Was the root with a vegetable brush before peeling to reduce any “dirt” flavor. Jicama is crunchy and light when sliced or cubed into a salad. It can be cut into sticks for dipping as part of a vegetable tray. Jicama can be parboiled for 1-2 minutes and then fried or baked as an alternative to more starch-heavy potato. Be sure to dry the jicama well after it comes out of the salted, boiling water.

Texas Ruby Red Grapefruits are one of my favorite varieties of grapefruit. They are large, red-fleshed with a delicious flavor that is the perfect balance of sweet, tangy and bitter. YUMMY!!!! They are available year round, but are best in the late fall to early spring. Like jicama, Texas Ruby Red Grapefruits are great in salads and their flavors and textures would compliment each other well. These large grapefruits are easily juiced or sliced in half and spooned out. They can be difficult to peel. I prefer mine cut in half with a small sprinkle of salt to round out its flavor profile.