By Kate Schnoor

kateshowing

Kate Showing Her Pig

The smell of fresh shavings, the sounds of carnival rides and clippers as sheep belt out and pigs grunt happily, it instantly takes me back to my years in showing pigs in FFA. It’s only been about 6 years sense I last showed my last market pig at NJLS; therefore, it’s still fresh in my mind what it’s like to be a youth livestock exhibitor. The days are long with early mornings and late nights, but you can’t sleep anyways because of all the excitement. None of this matters, because it is the most fun you can have with a creature that has four legs and is persistently dirty no matter how many baths you give it.

The 2015 Lyon County Fair & Rodeo in conjunction with the Silver State Youth Livestock Show (SSYLS) came to a conclusion after a successful week. The Lyon County Fair is held the third weekend in August every year in Yerington, NV. I was honored to be a part of this year’s Livestock Show and Sale. It was almost surreal to be on the other side of the auction fence as I bid on animals. It filled me with pride to pass it forward as so many people had done for me and to think I was there only 6 years ago.

Kate's Piglet

Kate’s Piglet

Showing my animals filled me with so much happiness; I learned so many valuable life lessons and made life-long friends. To watch 4-H, FFA and Grange youth from across Northern Nevada show their animals with such pride and joy gave me a whole new happiness. These youth work so hard, and spend so many hours with their animals to ensure a good show. Their parents and leaders are such a crucial component to their projects; their pride was evident as they watched their youth show.

I’d like to thank all of the youth exhibitors, leaders, advisor, parents, volunteers and fair board members for making the 2015 Silver State Youth Livestock Show such a success. I am very thankful I was able to be a member 6 years ago, and am grateful I now get to be on the other side of the auction fence.

To find out more about 4-H programs in Lyon County:

Website: www.unce.unr.edu/4H/programs

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lyon-County-NV-4-H

Or contact us directly at: 504 South Main St. Yerington, NV 89447, 775-463-6541