- Feb. 7 Sign ups due for Countywide Leadership Training
- Feb. 10 Shooting Sports Testing & Practice, Rifle/Pistol, 9 a.m.-Noon, Elko County Rifle Range
- Feb. 12 Record Book Committee Meeting, 5:30 p.m., Extension Office
- Feb. 13 County officer meeting, 5:00 p.m., Extension Office
- Feb. 15 Poultry workshop, 4:00 p.m., Extension Office
- Feb. 15 Rabbit workshop, 5:00 p.m., Extension Office
- Feb. 17 Countywide Leadership Training 9 am GBC HTC 123
- Feb. 19 Office Closed
- Feb. 23 Fashion Revue Workshop, 5:00 p.m., GBC
- Feb. 24 Photography workshop, 10 a.m.-12 Noon, Allusive Imagines Studio
- Feb. 28 Camp Committee Meeting, 5:30 p.m., Extension Office
All 4-H members are welcome to join Jessica Dyk as she explores and teaches the amazing science behind circuits and LED’s! Jessica will be planning a Saturday workshop series held at GBC. Stay tuned for information on dates and times
The General Leaders’ Meeting is set for 5:30 pm, Thursday, January 25 at the Cooperative Extension Office, 701 Walnut, Elko. If you have items that you would like to add to the meeting, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 22 so they can be added to the agenda. If the general leader is unable to attend, please appoint someone to represent your club. We’ll see you there!
We would like to thank everyone for your patience as we make the transition to 4honline. There are a few exciting things the program offers. If you have any questions regarding how to navigate through your family’s profile, please contact us at the Extension Office, 738-7291.
JOANN stores are connecting more young people to experiences where they can learn by doing, creating and making. By providing local 4-H Clubs with resources and tools to run impactful programs, JOANN will bring the 4-H experience to more kids in need.
Save 15% with JOANN 4-H Rewards
Current and lifetime 4-H members, parents of members, volunteers and 4-H staff can save 15% off total in-store and online purchases every day with 4-H Rewards. JOANN will give a minimum of 2.5% of every eligible transaction to 4-H.
If you are interested in being part of 4-H and would like to serve on an Elko County 4-H committee, please call Brianna at the Extension Office, 738-7291. Youth, adults and volunteers are encouraged to sign-up. The deadline for committee sign-ups will be February 2. Committees play an important role in how the 4-H program operates. Your commitment as a committee member will be to:
- Plan, implement and evaluate educational activities that are based off of the life skills model
- Select an educational theme for each workshop that focuses on knowledge gain and skill building. Each activity should be related to the workshop theme
- Plan hands-on, engaging and fun activities to help youth learn more about their project
- Set workshop/clinic dates, times and locations
- Provide information about the workshop activities, things youth need to bring, cost, time, date, location, etc. for the monthly newsletter
- Set contest dates, times and locations at least two months in advance
- Work with the 4-H Extension Coordinator on planning and implementation
- Find sponsorships and donations for project related workshops and events
Was this your first or second year in beef, sheep, goat, poultry or rabbit breeding? If you answered “yes,” then you need to turn in a copy, (keep your original), of your breeding project record to the Extension Office. In order to qualify to sell a market animal in the future, a copy of your breeding project sheets for the first two years of your project must be on file at the Extension Office. Be sure to have your general leader sign it first and get it turned in as soon as possible; breeding project sheets must be turned into the Extension Office before June 1, 2018.
4-H Shooting Sports safety classes will be offered December 5, 16 and January 9 and 20. All of the Safety Classes are at the Elko Courthouse, Nannini Building. The December 5 and January 9 classes will be from 6-9 p.m. The December 16 and January 20 classes will begin at 9 a.m. and be done by noon. The doors will open 30 minutes before class starts. Preregister on 4honline or by calling the office at 738-7291.
All shooting sports project members are required to attend a safety class and take a test for each discipline they wish to compete in during this 4-H year. The safety class covers general safety, rules and regulations, shooting procedures, positioning and form. The following items are important:
- A parent must accompany their 4-Her to the safety class.
- Members (and their parent) must participate in the entire class to qualify for every discipline.
- All participants must pre-register for the safety class by registering through 4honline.com or calling the Extension Office at 738-7291. Sign up for the specific date that works for your schedule.
- Cost for new members: $30 and includes all educational materials, project notebook and workshop supplies for the year.
- Cost for returning members (those who participated in shooting sports in past years): $20 and you must bring your notebook from last year to the class.
- All shooting sports members must attend one safety class this year, even if they took the safety class last year.
- Senior 4-H members (14-19 years old): If you have taken the safety class a minimum of 3 times, you will be asked to help the instructor with the training.
Parents and other adults who are interested in becoming project leaders or camp chaperones are invited to participate in a face-to-face workshop on recognizing and reporting child abuse on Thursday, February 1, 6 – 9 p.m. at the Extension Office, 701 Walnut St., Elko. Completing the self-study guide or this workshop is a requirement for anyone participating in the background check (fingerprinting, application & paperwork, references, training, etc.). There is no charge to attend, but you must call 738-7291 to register. Please sign up by January 30.