It can be a little nerve-racking to try something new – like joining 4-H. Take some time to welcome new 4-H members and their families by getting to know them and sharing information about how 4-H works. Here are some ideas to welcome new families into your club:
- Play a few get acquainted games at the first meeting of the 4-H year
- When discussing or voting, give an explanation of what you are discussing so members and their parents understand the issue or activity
- Share your newsletter
- Explain why deadlines are important
- Club Officers, Project Leaders and General Leaders- think about the things you might forget to tell new members; write it down and share it
- Tell new families about your club’s traditions, fundraisers and service projects
- Invite new members to sit by you (quietly explain what’s going on in the meeting)
- Talk with new members at school, the grocery store, soccer practice, etc.
- Be a friend and have fun!