The April Horse Workshop will be on Tuesday, April 17 from 4:45-6:15 p.m. It will be held at Elko High School room N4. Jacque Sloan has many exciting things to teach our 4-H horse project members. Please pre-register by calling the office at 738-7291 or in 4HOnline.com.
Rick has generously scheduled another Shooting Sports Safety class for youth who joined the program after the last class. It will be on Wednesday, April 11, 6-9 p.m. at the Extension Office, 701 Walnut, Elko. Please register online at 4HOnline.com or by calling the office at 738-7291. This is the final safety class of this year.
The 4-H Livestock Sale Committee is currently seeking individuals who are interested in applying for the goat representative vacancy. This person must be fingerprinted and background checked. Applications are available at the Cooperative Extension Office or by calling the office at 738-7291.
The groovy camp packets have gone to all our “with it” general leaders. We will be “far out” at camp with our “Through the Decades” theme, July 13-15, 2018. Put your beanies on and think of the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. Watch some “outta sight” old movies to get in the mood!
Camp forms are due MAY 4th. Late entries will be accepted with a $10 late fee until May 11th. There is a limit to 100 campers and all entries will be date stamped. It is the general leaders’ responsibility to turn the club’s registration papers and camp fees to the Camp Registrar, Lisa Reed. The camp fee is $70 per member. Each additional family member will be $60. If you are interested in being a camp chaperone please let your General Leader know. Chaperones are still free and can purchase a camp shirt for an additional $10. 4-H members’ camp shirts will still be provided.
Camp will be “primo” with you there. Grab your poodle skirt and peepers and cruise on up to 4-H Camp.
- April 4, 11, 18 —Livestock Judging Classes, 5-7 p.m., GBC McMullen Hall room 221
- April 6—Spring Fling, 6 p.m. Taylor Canyon, Tuscarora, Independence Valley/NF Fundraiser
- April 7—Shooting Sports Test & Practice, Archery & Rifle, 9-Noon
- April 7—STEM Workshop, 10-11 a.m., Cooperative Extension Office
- April 11—Final Shooting Sports Safety Class, 6-9 p.m., Cooperative Extension Office
- April 12—Poultry Workshop, 4 p.m., Cooperative Extension Office
- April 12—Rabbit Workshop, 5 p.m., Cooperative Extension Office
- April 17—Horse Workshop, 4:45-6:15 p.m., Elko High School room N4
- April 21—Nevada State Livestock Judging, Skillathon & Quiz Bowl, 8 a.m., Elko
- April 21—Shooting Sports Test & Practice, Air Pistol & Shotgun, 9-Noon
- April 21—STEM Workshop, 10-11 a.m., Cooperative Extension Office
- April 27—Nevada Youth Range Camp aps due
- May 4 — Camp Registration Deadline with no late fee
- May 5—Shooting Sports LAST DAY TO TEST and Practice, 9-Noon
- May 11—FINAL CAMP REGISTRATION DEADLINE WITH $10 LATE FEE
- May 12—BBQ for Bullets, 1-4 p.m., Backyard Cooperative Extension Office
- May 17—Poultry Workshop, 4:00 p.m., Cooperative Extension backyard
- May 17—Rabbit Workshop, 5:00 p.m., Cooperative Extension backyard
Shooting Sports BBQ for Bullets
Fair (are you awake?)
It is with great sadness that I must say goodbye to you all as your 4-H Coordinator. I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to work with the 4-H youth, families, and volunteers. My time with Elko County 4-H has been filled with many wonderful memories. I have learned many interesting things about Elko County, and have met many great people along the way. I hope you all will continue to help and encourage those who are new to the position. If you ever need help, I am just a phone call or email away.
Sincerely, Brianna Bright
Mark your calendars for the third countywide Horse Workshop, 4:45-6:15 p.m., March 20, Elko High School room N4. Jacque Sloan has a special guest who will speak on horse health. Please pre-register by calling the Cooperative Extension Office at 738-7291 or online at 4HOnline.com.
The 4-H program is offering many workshops and events. We hope that everyone will take advantage of these educational opportunities and get the most out of the 4-H experience.
One thing we ask is for everyone to pre-register for an event, workshop, class, etc. They can call the office at 738-7291 or do it online at 4HOnline.com, whichever is most convenient. By doing this we can be prepared for the events, workshops, activities, etc., with the correct number of handouts, snacks or whatever may be given out.
If we all make the effort to do this, we will be able to offer more fun activities and educational events for everyone!
There will be Poultry and Rabbit Workshops on Thursday, March 15, 4 p.m. for poultry and 5 p.m. for rabbit, at the Extension Office. Karla Kennison makes each workshop new and exciting and she teaches things that experienced members may not know. Call 738-7291 to pre-register or you can do it at 4HOnline.com.