Welcome to Douglas County 4-H Youth Development
Douglas County is the home of the Carson Valley, South Lake Tahoe, Western Area 4-H Camp, Topaz Lake, Washoe Tribe, Carson River, wetlands and wildlife refuge areas.
4-H programming in Douglas County can cover most any topic that an adult in the community would like to share with youth. Our 4-H staff will help you turn your interest into a 4-H project curriculum that teaches leadership, life skills and citizenship.
Signing up for 4-H in Douglas County, Nevada
When: 4-H Annual Sign Ups are 6:30-7:45 pm on Monday September 19, 2016
Where: Carson Valley United Methodist Church at 1375 Centerville Lane, Gardnerville, NV 89410.
Who: Youth and a parent/guardian attend Sign Up Night and all 4-H meetings/events
- 4-H age for club members is 5-19* years of age (age as of January 1, 2017).
- Some 4-H projects have age restrictions depending on suitability.
What: We anticipate offering the following 4-H Projects for the 2016- 2017 4-H:
- Beef –Market (9+*)
- Beyond Gardening (10-15*)
- Cloverbuds (5-8*))
- Crochet (9+*)
- Goats- Breeding and Market (9+*)
- Hiking (9+*)
- Horse (ages 9+*)
- Livestock Judging (9+*)
- Quilting (9+* with prior experience)
- Rabbits- (9+*)
- Sew a 4-H Tie (9-11*)
- Sheep - Breeding and Market (9+*)
- Shooting Sports (9+*, .22 Rifle, Air Rifle, Shotgun, Archery)
- Speaking With Confidence (9+*)
- Swine-Breeding and Market (9+*)
- Teen Leadership (13+ as of September 19, 2016)
- The 4-H year begins October 1 and ends September 30 of each year.
- Many Projects meet only a portion of the year.
- Projects times and dates vary, beginning and ending at different times during the year.
- Calendars with final date/time info will be available at Sign Up Night.
- Choose no more than two Projects. Each project is a considerable time commitment.
- For animal related projects, you must be zoned for, provide and care for your own animal.
- Please do not purchase any animals or supplies prior to attending your first project meeting.
- Parents/guardians generally must be at all 4-H meetings and activities for the entire time.
- There are no sign up fees due at Sign Up Night. Some Projects have supply fees due at your first meeting.
- 4-H T-shirts/totes will be available for purchase at Sign Up Night! Check/Cash only!
- Save the date! PINGO! Pumpkins + Bingo! Open to the public for all ages! Saturday October 15, from 12 noon to 6:00 pm. Win all sizes of pumpkins including GIANT pumpkins and $100 Wal-Mart gift cards for black out PINGO! 1375 Centerville Lane, Gardnervile, NV.
Contact the Douglas County office of the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, or email email@example.com or (775) 782-9960 for information.